Friday, February 22, 2008
Training wheels almost off
You could call it 11 weeks, or 77 days, or 2 months and 3 weeks...I'm graduating May 10. This means I will be done with school. I will be done with school. What does that mean? It seems weird to me in some way I probably won't explain well. But I will walk across a stage and have a degree. 3 years of soul-searching work and on May 10 I'm done? Hmmm...It seems a necessary ceremony...get dressed up, sit with my buddies, wear my Naropa sash, have my degree confirmed upon me with my family as witness. Lovely. I love the idea of it. And yet I had this moment today where I realized, I am not done. I'm not just going to stop the soul-searching and hard work of learning about my mind and my world. I guess I had idealized graduation to be some sort of release from something. And true, I will not have to go to class anymore or write a paper I don't want to write. I'm free from that. But my realization today is that it's just the beginning. I'm stepping from one part of my life into another. A bardo. A transitional state. And while I'm excited for it - I'm also scared. Scared like when I rode my bike for the first time without training wheels. I'm right about here:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment